Tuesday, September 11, 2012

NYC Trip Part 6: People Suck So Much, I'm Surprised There's Oxygen Left

Around 12:30, I turned my little light off and decided to try and get some sleep, and I end up just laying there with my eyes closed for awhile. Then I (and the rest of the floor, I guess) hear this couple come in, and while they're whispering, it's the kind of whispers that carry. Not exactly a stage whisper, but we can still hear exactly what they're saying. And it's clear that they're not happy with each other. I'll spare you most of the drama, but it was completely ridiculous. And it went on for at least an hour. And the guy started crying at one point and, I shit you not, he sounded exactly like that crying woman's voice that Dane Cook uses. “I just don't understand! You just get so angry!” I was torn between laughing out loud and screaming. All I could picture was this whiny little emo/hipster kid in some skinny jeans and eyeliner and a bad haircut. The worst part was, this guy kept repeating “I just want to leave! I just want to leave so fucking bad!” and it was all I could do to stop myself from yelling “THEN JUST FUCKING LEAVE ALREADY, YOU WHINY LITTLE BASTARD! AND DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE VAGINA ON THE WAY OUT!!” But that wouldn't have been very nice. Eventually, though, the little emo soap opera spins itself out, and things are finally quiet. For about 10 minutes. And then, just as I'm finally falling asleep, a group of foreign guys come in, who apparently couldn't read the signs that basically say “Shut the fuck up; people are trying to sleep in here,” and decide to carry on a conversation at full volume (actually shouting from room to room a few times) in a language I didn't recognize. Something that sounded vaguely Russian, but wasn't. By the time they shut up, my alarm clock said it was around 3. And I was pissed. Really? Possibly the most important night of sleep in my life, and I have to deal with this shit? But it's not like there was anything I could do about it at that point. So I managed to get some sleep on and off for the next few hours, and ended up waking up just before my alarm was going to go off anyways. I decide to turn it off, and just close my eyes for a few more minutes. 

When I open them again, it's 7:15, so I'm already running late. Awesome. I jump out of bed and head for the sinks so I can start slathering some of this makeup on. It takes longer than I expected (Are there really women who do this EVERY DAY? Madness!), but eventually I'm done. I put on my dress (this day just got weirder and weirder) and then the sweatpants and tennis shoes I'm going to wear in case I'm stuck waiting outside. I make sure my music binder is in my bag, along with my character shoes, a snack, and the makeup in case I need more, and then I set off for the nearest subway station. I get there just in time to watch the last car of my train slip out of sight. Sweet. It ends up taking a good 10 or 15 minutes for another train to come through, which means I'm getting later by the second. Eventually it gets there, and then I make my transfer and emerge onto the street near the audition. I manage to turn the right way this time, but it turns out that I'm on the wrong side of the street. Apparently, there are two exits to that subway station, and I took a different one from the night before. So I wait for a break in traffic and then run for my life across the street. I yank open the doors to the right building, and end up in the middle of a group of girls who look like they're going the same direction I am. We all crowd into the elevator when it arrives and make our way up to the 12th floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment